Power Cut


The lights went out and I was suddenly engulfed in pitch darkness. I had just sat down and was glad that I took that decision at the right time. You don’t want to be standing and waiting in the dark when there is no guarantee on how long the power would be gone.

Though I had seen my share of power cuts in the city but there was something strange about the darkness here. Maybe it was just because this was a new, an unknown place for me but somehow the blackness seems to be getting thicker all around me. I took a deep breath to calm myself. I was just getting paranoid. I guess when you rent out a mansion in a village for the weekend alone and housekeeper turns out to be a typical monkey cap wearing, lantern-carrying personality, a little paranoia is understandable. I wonder if he is looking to start the generator any time soon.

I remembered seeing candelabra next to the couch when the housekeeper had brought me inside. I reached out to the right side and felt nothing but air. This was strange. If not candles, there should have been an antique soldier statue right there. Even after swaying my hands in all directions I could find nothing.

Giving up, I decided to check on the left side. With my hands outstretched I moved them around trying to grab the candleholders. Finally, I did touch something and for a brief moment, I was jubilant that I would now be able to get back into the light. But this feeling evaporated when I realized the thing I was touching was less metallic and more human like. I retracted my hands and sat up straight. I was sure this could not be the housekeeper because (a) This person seemed to be wearing a suit which I could not imagine the housekeeper wearing, (b) there was no lantern around which the housekeeper insisted on carrying even in full light and (c) I had locked the doors myself after I had seen him retiring to his quarters for the night. I squinted my eyes but it was impossibly dark. I opened my mouth but could not make a sound. My voice also seemed to have abandoned me.

I am not someone who gets scared easily. My friends would vouch for that but to share the couch with this figure scared me. Had this person knocked on the door, came in with a candle or torch and offered to show me around the village, I would have shared the couch gladly but having him sitting silently next to me in the dark was not at all comforting.

Till the power came back, I was stuck sitting voiceless and sightless on this godforsaken couch in this godforsaken mansion with god knows who (or what!).

Comments

Post a Comment