The Curious Case of Round Roti

Perfection has one grave defect: It is apt to be dull.      
-W.Somerset Maugham

Roti (Phulka/Chapati)

As easy as writing and saying this word is, physically materializing that phulka is a gazillion times difficult (Just to be clear I mean the ideal round one not the kind I would serve). Stepping inside an Indian kitchen as a cook this is the first task you need to learn. You can go to as many cookbooks and internet forums you like but you will not learn this until you practice. It is like the maths of cooking.


The Ideal Roti

For the last 22 years watching my mother make Rotis a thought was tuck in my head that how difficult it could really be? But if you keep watching Sachin (or Dravid) bat, you will tend to think that batting against likes of Lee and Akhtar is easy. It is only when you pad up and go down to face the bowler yourself that you find that facing the Chandu of your locality is difficult. It’s not a child’s (or even an Adults) play.

Ever since (since translates to 3 weeks only but it seems ages to me) I had to start doing the whole roti work myself, my respect for that simple roti has gone up several notches. They say practice makes perfect. I am practicing (skipping sometimes too) and I am proud of the roti that I put on my plate. They may not be perfectly round but they do satisfy the hunger. What else can you want? You cannot hate the rotis you make yourself.

A few of my own creation!

For those who complain about the lack of roundness in the roti they get I have this to say
"Khud jaake bana lo!"

I know I won’t be complaining about it any time in future.

Written for Indipire #54- DO ROUND ROTIS TASTE BETTER THAN NON- ROUND ONES?

Feedback Appreciated!

PS-Now you have reached the end of the post and you want to keep reading so I suggest you like the facebook page so that you don’t miss out on any posts.

Comments

  1. Lol! I like the advise - khud bana lo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by! Keep Reading and follow too :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment